Our friends over at Sunrise Living have been experimenting with yummy vegan dishes and here is one of our favorites. Their healthy summer slaw is delicious and can be served as a side dish and promises to be a hit at any family barbecue this summer!! http://www.sunriseseniorliving.com/blog/categories/senior-eats.aspx
Serves 4 to 6
The heat of summer calls for light, refreshing dishes. At Sunrise Senior Living, many of our seniors love coleslaw, an old-fashioned American favorite. While the traditional recipe is heavy on the mayonnaise , we’ve opted for a lighter, more healthful version that’s perfect to serve at this summer’s outdoor barbeques and picnics!
Tangy, and with just a touch of sweetness, our Sunrise Health Slaw is sure to be a hit at your next gathering. Using mustard as the flavor base instead of high-fat mayonnaise keeps it more waistline-friendly, too!
- shredded coleslaw mix – 4 cups
- medium red bell pepper, seeded and small diced – ½ each
- green onions, sliced thin – ½ bunch
- red wine vinegar – 2 tbsp
- vegetable oil or coconut oil – 1 ½ tbsp
- vegan cane sugar or maple syrup – 1 tbsp
- Dijon mustard – 1 tsp
- celery seed – ¼ tsp
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, vegetable oil, sugar, mustard, and celery seed.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss gently to coat.
- Cover the coleslaw and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes prior to serving to soften the cabbage and develop the flavors. Serve chilled.