A Little Bit About Us

Our goal is to make affordable, delicious, healthy food that nourishes our souls as well as our bodies. We love new flavors as well as old favorites. It's important, for us, not to place too many restrictions and be as free and simple as we can when it comes to our food. We have no fancy equipment or expensive gadgets (although when we're wrestling with our dinosaur blender/smoothie maker we have both thought how nice it'd be to have a functioning one.. lol). We love each other more than anything and making food together is rewarding on every level.

Saturday 13 April 2013

The wonders of coconut oil and lavender in hair!

I decided to try something new yesterday.  I was a bit skeptical (when I say skeptical I really mean concerned about oil in hair in general, my hair gets oily if I don't wash it at least every two days.  I thought it wouldn't be good for me to be ADDING oil in any capacity.. lol)  but Kasey insisted, she was really keen to see how it turned out for me.  She has been a fan of putting coconut oil in her hair for a while now, and she even made a youtube video about it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlh52ujMO6w

In our previous post, we talked about foraging and we were lucky to find some beautiful, aromatic lavender and we had no real idea what we were going to do with it.  We had about 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil left in the jar so it clicked, why not try adding the lavender?!  We heated the coconut oil until it was in liquid form and added about 2 teaspoons of lavender flowers.  It smelled amazing and I wasn't so skeptical about putting it in my hair then :)   I just focused on the ends and ran a brush through.  Then I put my hair in a loose bun and went about my day.  Simple as that!



I loved it, absolutely loved it.  Every step I took I could smell the soothing lavender and the yummy coconut, it was divine.

I ended up leaving it in for about 8 hours.  I imagine if you wanted, you could leave it for 1-2 hours just to try it.  I'm thinking since we mixed in the calming lavender, you could put this on your hair before bedtime for sweet dreams :)

We plan on trying to mix the oil with essential oils.  We have some peppermint oil and neroli oil.  Both of which I'm excited about trying!

1 comment:

  1. Kasey, I'm making that toothpaste asap!!!!!! I even have therapeutic grade peppermint oil and baking soda just sitting around. How awesome is that. I'm sick of buying toothpaste.

    I love coconut oil. Also give it to my dog, who used to have seizures, but didn't know there was a connection :)

    Here's how I learned to open a coconut, except I chop it on the kitchen counter with a heavy knife. My husband used a chisel and a rubber hammer, which seems a lot more controlled.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFwyk4D-rBk

    ReplyDelete