A Little Bit About Us

Our goal is to make affordable, delicious, healthy food that nourishes our souls as well as our bodies. We love new flavors as well as old favorites. It's important, for us, not to place too many restrictions and be as free and simple as we can when it comes to our food. We have no fancy equipment or expensive gadgets (although when we're wrestling with our dinosaur blender/smoothie maker we have both thought how nice it'd be to have a functioning one.. lol). We love each other more than anything and making food together is rewarding on every level.

Monday 13 October 2014

Vegan Chocolate Brownies with a Secret Ingredient!

I was watching The Americans last night.  Have any of you seen it?  I had heard it was good, so we decided to give it a try and started it last night.  (I love it btw, we watched two episodes before bed and I can't wait to continue it tonight.)  Well, no spoilers I promise, but there was some baking of brownies, from a box.  I haven't had brownies in so long since coming to Australia and I honestly didn't even know how much I missed them until I saw them sitting there on her counter.  My little girl, Maeve, didn't even know what they were!  I told her we'd have a mission today, and that was to make some yummy yummy brownies, but the part I didn't tell her was that they would be vegan, and as healthy as I could make them :)

I browsed several recipes and decided against applesauce (didn't have any) or bananas (didn't have any) and I didn't want any processed sugars, so I altered one I found here.

She and Leila couldn't wait to lick the spoon and sat patiently waiting for their brownies.  I'm happy to report the brownies were a success, maybe TOO much of a success, considering they're both prowling about the kitchen asking if they get another one tonight after dinner.  hehe  I know I plan on having another one :P

Vegan Chocolate Brownies


1/2 cup avocado, mashed well
1 tbsp. of olive oil
1/2 maple syrup, or honey (In a pinch, 1/2 raw sugar would work)
2 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 water
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cacao powder or cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

* Optional:  Add shredded coconut or your favorite nuts or vegan chocolate to the top and bake.  I made some yummy vegan coconut chocolate earlier in the week so I crumbled that on top and WOW.  So good!

1) Put the avocado and olive oil in a bowl and whisk it until well combined.  Mix in the honey, lemon juice, and the water.
2) In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, cacao, baking soda, and salt.
3) Pour the avocado mixture into your bowl of dry ingredients and stir well until combined.
4)  Pour batter into your baking dish, spreading it evenly.
5)  Bake 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out mostly clean ( I like my brownies fudgy so I always take them out a smidge early :)



I hope you like the brownies! My girls and I loved them and I hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment